SC - Re: Kvass and yeasties

DAVIS, VICTORIA VICTORIA.DAVIS at aeroquip.com
Fri Jul 17 06:24:00 PDT 1998

>Using bread in a beer is common.  The Sumerians were doing it 5000+ years
>ago.  It sounds like they are using the wild yeast which has settled on the
>bread after baking (same reason flour and water in a sealed container will
>ferment), but that is an uncertain process.

As a fairly new (less than a year) but very excitable baker (when I have
the time) I have learned much about yeasts lately.  One of my baking
books (titled Bread Alone, very good book btw) talks a lot about wild
yeasts and how you may utilize them.  My husband and I have also seen a
lot about using wild yeasts in brewing.

Although none of my sources are good "period" sources, I would assume
(yes, I know the dangers) that wild yeasties have been around for a very
long time.  You can make bread by just putting flour and water (a little
sugar or honey helps) in a container and leaving it open, or preferably
covered with thin cheesecloth.  The little wild yeasties that float
around in the air will find their way to the mixture and say "food, yum"
and after a while you will see the fermentation process begin.  The same
goes for brewing.  Some water and honey in a barrel, preferably covered
with thin cheesecloth, will attract the elusive wild yeasties as well.

Baking and brewing by this method does take a little longer than
directly adding yeast.  And there are dangers in using these wild yeasts
sometimes.  If you live near or in an area with very polluted air, then
your wild yeasts will probably be polluted as well.  Also, you never
know what types of yeasts you are collecting and the flavors they create
can be unpredicatable.  Sometimes new and exciting, othertimes not so
nice.

I know that I have seen statements about brewing mead done this way in
period, though I can't tell you the books and sources offhand.  I am
sure that adding some already baked bread or fermented but not baked
dough to a brewing mixture would be a faster and more predicatable way
to get your brew a-bubbling.  But there I go making the "they could have
done it in period" assumption that I am so well known for.
:-)

If anyone more knowledgeable would like to comment on this or correct my
misassumptions, feel free.  I always love to learn.

 -Failenn