SC - Fwd: Sausage Recipes

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sat Jul 18 06:04:54 PDT 1998

- --part0_900767094_boundary

From: Mordonna22 at aol.com
To: SCA-Cooks at Ansteorra.com
Subject: Sausage Recipes
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 09:02:50 EDT

We made four different kinds of sausage on the farm:
=09Traditional Sausage
=09Hot Sausage
=09Onion Sausage
 =09Blood Sausage
I have added a recipe for low fat sausage.

You understand that the quantities we dealt with were huge, I have cut do=
wn to=0Athe best of my ability.  Any of these may be stuffed, or stored a=
s bulk=0Asausage.

TRADITIONAL SAUSAGE

=091 pkg. sheep=92s casings
=094 lbs. lean pork
=091 lb. pork fat
=092 Tbs. each of the following (can be altered more or less to taste)
=09=09salt, pepper, sage, ground fresh coriander seed, brown sugar (can b=
e=0A=09=09omitted)
=09About an hour before stuffing the sausage, open the casings.  Place th=
em in a=0Abowl of warm water and allow to soak for 30 minutes.  Drain and=
 rinse in cold=0Awater three times. Add ice water to keep them until used=
.  Grind together meat=0Aand fat using first a coarse grind then a medium=
 grind. Be sure to mix meat=0Aand seasonings thoroughly. Thread casings o=
nto the spout of the sausage=0Astuffer and force meat mixture gently into=
 the casings.
=09 Allowing to sit for a few days in the refrigerator after it has been =
stuffed=0Amarries the flavors better.

LOW FAT VERSION

=09Use 5 lbs of  very lean pork and NO additional fat.

HOT SAUSAGE

=09=09To the above recipe, add 4 or 5 whole dried cayenne peppers to the =
first=0Agrinding of the meat. (More or less to taste)

ONION SAUSAGE
=09=09Grind 2 large or 3 small yellow onions with the meat, spice only wi=
th salt=0Aand pepper.

BLOOD SAUSAGE

=09=09Add 1 pint swine blood when grinding the meat.  Spice with salt and=
 pepper.=0AGo a bit lighter on the salt and a bit heavier on the pepper.

Mordonna

.

- --part0_900767094_boundary--