SC - Re: OOP- interesting question

PhlipinA at aol.com PhlipinA at aol.com
Tue Jul 21 07:23:52 PDT 1998

Adamantius asks:

:Please don't take this the wrong way, but _are_ there any regions of
:Europe where little milk is used?

Actually, Adamantius, one major group which doesn't produce lactase and is
therefore lactose intolerant is found near the Mediterranean, though I can't
remember who they are. The other two major groups who are lactose intolerant
are, of course, the Asians and the Native Americans.

Another ingredient that people have problems with is the high butterfat in
Cow's milk.

There are also bunches of different proteins which can cause problems in
various people.

The least thought of cause for problems with milk is a lack of the proper
intestinal flora and fauna- we have many intestinal symbiotes that are
responsible for much of our digestion- and someone who has been placed on a
heavy dosage of antibiotics, like the one child who was mentioned, may have
had them killed off. I know when I've been on them for a while, as in after a
couple of my surgeries, it takes me a while to be able to digest properly
because of that.  Fortunately, my doctors are aware of the problem, and
prescribe me tidy little pills which repopulate my innards for me.

Phlip