SC - Clarification-long- response 1a

PhlipinA at aol.com PhlipinA at aol.com
Thu Jul 23 09:25:21 PDT 1998

In a message dated 7/22/98 9:35:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, sunnie at exis.net
writes:

<<
 I hate to disagree on this point milady, but I had an anaphylactic response
 e-mycin the FIRST time I ingested it.  Maybe allergies are easier to see on
me
 because an allergy (in a milder form) can set off my asthma.  In this case,
it
 shut me down hard and fast.  My face, hands, and throat were swollen and
somewhere
 between itchy and numb.  My doctor said it was a severe reaction, and I
believe
 him.  Who wants to do that again? >>

 I can understand your feelings, but, Meadhbh said it accurately, and I quote:

< Allergy does occur after a
repeat exposure (an initial exposure is needed for the body to produce
antibodies).
Erythromycin being a common antibiotic..... you could have received it as a
child (it
is in combination with  another drug).  Also, you may have come in contact
with a
compound of similar structure, developed antibodies that recognized
erythromycin as
the offending agent. Happens a lot.>

One of the things that people misunderstand is that although they don't KNOW
that they've been exposed to something, they very likely may have been. E-
mycin, and I'll give you more information in a bit, has been very widely
prescribed, in humans AS WELL AS IN ANIMALS!!!!!!! One of the reasons many of
us are trying to get the major milk and meat producers to cut back on
antibiotics, as well as other "beneficial" preventative drugs, is because we
are now just learning how much of that stuff goes into the meat and milk of a
"protected" animal, and shows up in increased Asthma and Allergies in
physiologically sensitive people such as yourself and your family. It's much
like the DDT thing we had a few years ago. I will guarantee, that if you have
eaten the first hamburger at a fast food joint, you have not only been exposed
to at least one of the many substances out there, but you have also eaten
horse meat- why else did Wendy's pull the "Where's the Beef" thing off?

As far as E-mycin goes, here's part of the information put out by Revco, a
major pharmacist in our area. Any of my comments will be <bracketed> as I just
demonstrated.

Uses: Erythromycin is an antibiotic used to treat a wide variety of bacterial
infections, such as respiratory tract infections, middle ear infections, and
skin infections.

Side effects: May cause stomach upset, diarrhea, loss of appetite, vomiting
and stomach cramps the first few days as your body adjusts to the medication,
If these symptoms persist or become severe, see your doctor.  <Note- this is
usually the first sign that you've killed off your symbiotic flora and fauna-
those nice little critters die before the nasties do.>

Notify your doctor if you develop symptoms of jaundice such as dark urine,
clay-colored stools or yellowing of eyes or skin. <This means your liver has
just taken a nasty hit- you may have had liver problems which simply did not
manifest until the extra straw arrived>

In the UNLIKELY <my caps> event you have an allergic reaction to this drug,
seek medical attention immediately. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include
<but are not limited to> rash, itching, swelling, dizziness or trouble
breathing.

Use of this medication for prolonged or repeated periods may result in a
secondary infection (e.g. oral, bladder or vaginal yeast infection).

Precautions: Tell your doctor if you have other illnesses or any allergies,
especially allergies to drugs.

Ran out of room, will be followed up in a second post.

Phlip