SC - Clarification-long

PhlipinA at aol.com PhlipinA at aol.com
Thu Jul 23 10:31:16 PDT 1998

In a message dated 7/23/98 7:52:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time, sunnie at exis.net
writes:

<<  In addition, my brother (also an asthmatic and chronic ENT) had the same
type of
 reaction to wasp venom (the first time he was stung...granted it was 6 stings
at a time
 which may affect the mix), but he had never had a sting before (he was 10)
and every
 sting after has affected him similarly.

 Brenna >>

 Brenna, milady,

This is an example of another type of reaction which I had described, the
poison reaction. Bee venom is a very deadly poison, similar in virulence to
rattlesnake venom. The first time, the child was poisoned- his body reacted by
trying to protect him from the poison in future encounters. A single, original
bee sting is a fairly minor thing, hurts like hell for a few minutes (which is
an eternity for a child) and then itches for a few days. An appropriate mental
image, would be the ingestion of a shot of 100 proof (50% alcohol by content)
liquor, versus drinking 6 straight shots down. The one isn't going to hurt
most folks, but the 6 will put most of us on our collective cans- if we don't
get sick and regurgitate it as rapidly as it went down!!!. You have described
your family as being very sensitive to many environmental factors which many
of us just brush off as minor irritations. Is it not likely that after being
poisoned, your brother's body overreacted, as it has to other described
substances?

Phlip