SC - Re: To be or not to be...an allergy

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Jul 23 13:02:38 PDT 1998

Phlip said...
<snip>
>Doctors run into the same problem. It's only been recently that doctors have
>been held accountable for what they tell a patient, and just as in Brenna's
>(and many other people's case, where they don't want to give a long involved
>explanation) case, frequently doctors will give a quickie magic word or two so
>that they can get on with their other tasks. After all, time is money, and if
>you're wasting their time asking for information you could as easily get from
>your pharmacist or library, you're wasting their money. Doctors are human too.

On this m'lady I must heartily disagree. A doctor's role is not to just dole
out scant information and put the onus on the patient to look further for
information that may or may nor be erroneous. When I talk to my doctor I
expect and demand that all my answers are responded to. I don't care what
other 'tasks" he may have in the offing. They are billong for that time and
until I am satisfied with the answers, then I will cheerfully let him get on
with his day. I don't believe that there is an obvious line that is drawn
for patient/doctor devulging of information.

Those "quickie" magic words are a waste of time both to the doctor and to
the patient. I am of the opinion that if a doctor is too busy to take the
time to explain what this or that is, or what you have, then they are not a
good physician and is indicative of a person only in it for the buck!

With all due respect
Micaylah