SC - Organ Meats

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Mon Jul 27 12:59:12 PDT 1998

>Since the subject has come up...
>
>While perusing my brand-new copy of The Medieval Kitchen I noticed a number of
>recipes where the sauce was thickened with liver.
>
>Has anyone tried this? How pervasive is the liver flavor? (Other organ meats
>are great, but I just don't like liver.) Is there any way to omit the liver
>and still get a reasonable result?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Renata

Hello!  The flavor depends on what kind of liver you use & the proportion
to other ingredients.  Another period method of thickening sauces is using
boiled blood:  boil it till it coagulates, and (sometimes you then fry it,
and then) pass it through a strainer.  Then add the blood to your sauce.

HTH,

Cindy/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net