SC - Re:Kitchener

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jul 30 15:39:59 PDT 1998

In a message dated 7/30/98 5:13:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ghesmiz at UDel.Edu
writes:

<< But I think forcing people to use a particular title no matter what
 it is will only cause bad feelings. >>

I certainly don't feel as if I am "forcing" my preference of a "STANDARDIZED"
term for the feastocrat.  And, I have made it clear that my choice is "Kitchen
Steward."  It is that term that I am going to use, personally.  Other folks on
the list have made it clear as to what they would like to see themselves
called.  It certainly makes perfect sense to me to choose some other name
besides feastocrat.

You can correct me if I'm wrong: but, in the majority of posts that I've read
so far on this thread, The more "unusual" suggestions have been, for the most
part, the ones that seem to be attracting the more negative, less than serious
or cutsey remarks.  Such an observation on my part makes me lean even more
toward my original choice, "Kitchen Steward". :-) At least so far it has not
been compared with generals, gays, foreigners or any other colorful
characters.  However, it is for others to make up their own minds.

I see the use of a "standardized" term as beneficial to the Society.  I do not
think that that term necessarily needs to be mine.  The point is that if we,
as Kitchen Stewards, (or Kitchiners, or whatever) start INSISTING that we be
called by something other than feastocrat and immediately correct the mistake
when we are listed or referred to inappropriately then the change will happen.
It is a social change that we are describing here and it could well take 5 or
even 10 years to accomplish.

Kitchen Steward may or may not be the final adopted phrase but whatever it is
I am positive that it will not be feastocrat. :-)

Ras