SC - Kitchen steward.

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 30 12:27:14 PDT 1998

Brenna wrote:

> > Good Day,
> >
> > Although Kitchen Steward sounds nice, here in Ansteorra (partly
> > through the
> > efforts of those on this list) the term Steward is gaining in
> > popularity over
> > the term Autocrat.
> >
> > Gunthar
>
> Maybe I'm mistaken, but THL Elspeth of Harilow always used the terms
> (ugh!) autocrat, feastocrat, and hall steward (which was akin to a
> head wench in a tavern setting- he/she was responsible for organizing
> the servers and making sure the hall was ready for feast).  Is this
> not a readily accepted set of terms (until people push for a change,
> of course)?  Locally, people know what we mean when we use the term
> hall steward.  Just looking for information here.
>
> Brenna

Here in Windmasters Hill, there seems some movement toward substituting Event
Steward for Autocrat. Gatekeeper (or gate) is replacing troll. Hall Steward
seems common. Cook is gaining ground. I've heard people correct those that
said feastocrat. Since we've made that much progress, I don't beleive tossing
out a replacement for the replacement just now would be good PR.

At Cossacks, Mongols & Huns they Ataman (sp?) for Autocrat and other vaguely
eastern terms for the others, at least in the flyer. I forget what all they
used and can't find the out of date Windlore that I usually find when wanting
a new one.  That's the only event I've known that did anything like that.

Bonne