SC - SCA placenames

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jul 30 22:44:09 PDT 1998

Bonne de Traquair said:

>Buckston-on-Eno, Windmasters' Hill  (Durham, NC)
>Durham was built because of Duke Tobacco, Duke Tobacco was founded by James B.
>Duke = "Buck" Duke; therefore Buck's Town on the Eno (River).  Cool, huh?

>As for the derivation of Windmasters' Hill, it is something to do with men
>trying out some flying contraption near the sea.

Thank you Bonne for this explanation of this name. Is this a canton associated
with the Barony of Windmasters' Hill? And is Duke Tobacco a place?

For those interested in SCA placenames, there are a number of stories of these
names in this file in the SCA-STORIES section of my Florilegium. Some are quite
funny. Including the explantions of what some of the names really mean vs. what
they were supposed to mean.

placenames-msg   (142K)  3/27/98    Origins and meanings of SCA placenames.

If some of you know the histories and stories behind any placenames that are
not in my file, please send me a message (by email, not this list) detailing
them for this file.

Are there any medieval towns or areas named for foods?

Lord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net