Ginger (was: SC - Will's- Recipe 1)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Jul 1 13:30:17 PDT 1998

The original Ras is working from refers to "ginger mynced", and Ras
interprets that as:

>1 tsp Fresh gingerroot, peeled and minced finely

This is something I have wondered about a long time.  Minced ginger sounds
like fresh ginger root; I have found that if I try to mince ginger that has
dried out, it just falls apart to powdered ginger.  But where would a
15th-century Englishman get fresh ginger root? I am pretty sure it wasn't
being grown locally. I have wondered if candied ginger might have been
available-- that will keep a long time and retains its structure.  Does
anyone know of any references to candied ginger being available in the
14th-15th century or before?

Elizabeth/Betty Cook