SC - Dating Eleanor Fettiplace

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Jul 1 19:19:45 PDT 1998

At 11:40 AM -0400 7/1/98, THLRenata at aol.com wrote:

>Eleanor grew up and learned to cook in the 16th Century (she was born ca.
>1570), so I'm willing to take most of her recipes as late 16th Century, since
>I doubt that when the calendar struck 1600 she decided to chuck out all the
>recipes she'd been using for years and make new ones.

You're assuming that she wrote all the recipes. Since it is a manuscript
book, some of them might have been by her great grand daughter--subject to
handwriting analysis and the like.

And she might easily have included recipes that were new when she was old,
thus giving us some recipes that originated c. 1620 or whatever.

This is mostly an issue in cases where the presence of a recipe in that
book is the chief evidence that it is period--i.e. for things like Potatoes
that were just coming into use c. 1600.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/