Ginger (was: SC - Will's- Recipe 1)

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Wed Jul 1 19:33:43 PDT 1998

>Cindy wrote:

> I'm wondering if there was a climatic change between the time the Harleian
> MS. was written (c. 1450), and the time Gerard wrote his book, which would
> have allowed ginger to be cultivated in England in the 15th c.?

I have read of major climate changes, but don't remember when they
were.   I have confidence that someone on the list will
remember :-).  However, it's quite easy to grow ginger indoors in a pot
in the winter.  It's impressive to see the whole pot fill up with
ginger root until there is practically no dirt left.  It's also
possible to hold it for long periods of time in root cellar type
conditions such as you might dig up and hold over carrots.  It's
more inclined to mold than carrots though.  So possibly some
people dug it up and stored it and then put it back out in the
late spring after frosts were over.

Sharon
gordonse at one.net