SC - Greetings!

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Jul 2 13:03:45 PDT 1998

Celadon is going to be head cook for his first feast in May and asked for:

> suggestions on some of your favourite recipes and combinations
>of recipes.

Our book _The Miscellany_ is webbed at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html

The first section of it is our collection of worked-out recipes (original
included); some of our favorites which we have successfully served at
feasts include Caboges, Armored Turnips, Potage from Meat, Capons Stwed,
Icelandic Chicken, Mirause of Catelonia, Fylettes en Galentyne, Bourbelier
of Wild Pig, Tart on Ember Day, Herbelade [this is a meat pie], Spinach
Tart, Gingerbrede, Torta from Red Chickpeas, Darioles, Ryse of Fische Daye,
Macrows, and Small Mead--and that is leaving out the Islamic recipes.

There is also, farther on in the book, a general article on how to do a
feast and an article on an Islamic feast we did, with comments on how we
decided what to serve.  My two best pieces of advice to a new head cook are:

1. You should not only try out each dish in advance; you should cook the
whole feast in advance in miniature (say, for about 8 people--one table),
in order to find out if things balance, if the quantities of food you plan
are right, and what problems you are likely to run into.  The guests should
include the autocrat, at least one unregenerate meat-and-potatoes type, and
your assistant cooks, who can help you cook this and thereby learn what
they will be doing.

2. Have a look at the site kitchen in advance and write down a full
description of the equipment (how big are the ovens; what pots are
available; how many really big pots can you fit on the stove, etc.).  Use
this in your planning.  Think about what you will do if any one piece of
equipment doesn't work on the day.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook