SC - Competitions?

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Sun Jul 5 16:34:06 PDT 1998

And Stefan wrote:
>Yes, but for any of these arts, why does it have to be an A&S *COMPETITION*.
>Why can't it be an A&S *DISPLAY*?

Perhaps because of our 20th century nature, people often make more effort
for a competition that a display. For several years, we held a Laurel's
Prize Tourney, where people displayed their works, with documentation if
possible. The laurels individually gave prizes - as many as they saw fit -
to the entries they wanted to reward or encourage. Everyone else came to
look and admire too. It was very successful, if rather hard work for the
laurels (it used to take me about 3 hours to go through and comment
properly). It was an important event.

Some laurels thought it would be better not to have the competitive and
prize elements and so it was turned into a display. After 2 years there were
less than a quarter of the entries and fading interest from both exhibitors
and viewers.

With less to strive for, many people strove less. With no prizes to give,
many laurels did not make the effort to attend or spend the same amount of
time as they had.

Some environments work better for some people. I think we should recognise
that many people in the A&S world need competition and provide for this, as
well as for those who prefer to avoid such situations.

Rowan
Robyn Probert
Customer Service Manager		Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager		Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Lawpoint Pty Limited			Sydney NSW  Australia