SC - Re: Sugar Questions

Mon Jul 6 07:21:05 PDT 1998

"Black sugar" is the result of the first boiling and skimming of juice from
the crushed cane.  The product is a molasses laden sugar which resembles
fudge.  This is next to impossible to find in the US.

Muscovado is sugar which is more refined, but still retains some molasses.
The derivation of the word is confusing.  It is either Portuguese or
Spanish.  The Portuguese derivation would mean "less refined" or "impure".
The Spanish derivation would mean "more refined."

Turbinado is raw sugar which has not been refined to pure white, but from
which the molasses has been removed.

Mucovado and turbinado are both used as marketing terms rather than true
descriptions, so the actual product may vary.

Originally, white sugar was all that was imported into Europe.  By the 15th
Century, the wily Venetians were importing "black sugar" and refining it, so
they could pocket the refiner's profits.  This suggests that the less
refined sugars would be more available in later period cooking than in
earlier period cooking with exceptions for sugar producing regions.

Bear