SC - When did they start aging wine?

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jul 7 17:35:40 PDT 1998

In a message dated 7/7/98 12:43:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
margali at 99main.com writes:

<< Could it be interpreted to mean that
 the rich who could afford to buy wine in the cask to age and the invention
 of corked bottles allowed us common scumto buy just a little bit of wine in
 a more affordable form to age? >>

Considering that taxes and other things which were paid in the form of
agricultural products were the norm for land holders, I don't find it very
surprising that nobility and wealthy landowners had casks of wine to age. So
far as the little man, I suspect that sour beer and sour wine were his lot.
Again nothing surprising there.

I would venture to say that the fact that wine has become  more and more
expensive in the recent modern times has little or no bearing on wine in the
MA. I would also venture to offer the opinion that what the poor drank is not
really important when considering SCA feasts.

BTW, wine was aged in the Roman times also. Castles and manner houses would
have had no difficulty with storage space for wine since it was a major
beverage. SFAIK, wine was basically "bottled" a short while before serving
throughout most of the MA.

A'aql (pronounced Ras) (I was told that we were all considered noble birthed
when I joined the SCA so I have retained little knowledge in the way of facts
about the life of peasants. :-()