SC - Re:amydon vs. rice flour (was Sugar...)

Tue Jul 7 19:44:14 PDT 1998

> Robyn Probert wrote:
> >
> > On thickeners, have you come across any references to arrowroot?
>
> New world...I don't remember if it's made from manioc or cassava, or
> what, but I seem to recall it's South American originally...

Maranta arindunacea.  The starch is made from the rhizomes.  The name
arrowroot is supposedly derived from aru-aru, the Arawak name for the plant.

It is also a generic name from the edible starch derived from the rhizomes
and tubers of the genera Canna and Tacca.  Or so sayeth the quick ref.

> It occurs to me Wondra flour (precooked, instant flour used for
> thickening sauces in the USA, mostly by the inept, but not exclusively),
> might make a decent substitute for amydoun, in some cases.
>
> Adamantius

I have to say I prefer cornstarch dissolve in a little water.  As a super
fine mixture of wheat and malted barley flours, Wondra has some uses in low
gluten baking, but I wasn't impressed with it in the gravy.

Bear