SC - Re: Sugar Questions

Wed Jul 8 08:59:23 PDT 1998

The sources I referenced said little about  sugar by-products.

A tariff list for the Kingdom of Jerusalem (1099-1291, precise date of the
list unstated) lists sugar (with several different classifications), but
does not list any sugar by-products.  Similarly, I do not recall any mention
of sugar by-products as trade goods until molasses starts being distilled
into rum.  This suggests that medicinal treacle was probably shipped in
small, expensive quantities to those apothecaries who requested it.  It may
be that the European need was supplied by Sicily (1091) and Cyprus (1191),
sugar producing areas in Christian hands.

As an unsubstantiated opinion, I would expect sugar and treacle to be
purchased together when dealing directly with the producer, but to be sold
as separate products after the initial purchase, since the retail markets
seem to have different clients.

Bear