SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #813

Thu Jul 9 07:15:11 PDT 1998

> 1.  Can anyone help me with a recipe for Chawettys?  I have half of
> it...

Possibly, but it may take a few days to dig it out and post it.

> 2.  What makes pea flour bitter and can I do anything about it
> (before I bake that bread)?

Try toasting it.  Sarah Elmore found out that toasting millet flour improves
the flavor and it is a technique I've used with wheat flour where rising was
not an issue.

> 4.  Does anyone have decent recipes for ontbijtkoek, Amsterdammer
> (speculaas cakes) or speculaas (biscuit form)?  I don't mind if
> they're not period, but it's obviously going to be marvellous if they
> are.  Basically any cardamom/almond meal baked item would be of
> interest.

Not to my knowledge, but you've piqued my curiosity.  I guess I get to play
Riki Tiki Tavi.

> 5.  There was a short discussion on the difference between cooking
> over fires and the pointers we need to remember.  One I learnt from
> cooking under an open chimney is to keep lids on pots.  Soot doesn't
> taste nice.  If boiling liquid off, then leave the lid propped up on
> a spoon, and allow more time than usual.
>
> Cairistiona.

Thanks for the reminder.

Bear