SC - quiet list and creamline milk

Thu Jul 9 12:31:45 PDT 1998

> I wish I lived in your area, I had a source of pastuerized and raw milk,
> but
> it dried up.  (I know, horrid pun)
>
> Good luck with working with the "creamline milk"
>
> Mordonna DuBois
> Cook, Warrior Haven

Consider it the economics of "progress."  Twenty-five years ago, we had a
fine independent dairy here in Norman, OK, that provided raw Guernsey milk
and cream.  We also had a population of 25,000, putting us about 10th or
11th in city size.  Then we started growing.

Seventeen year ago, the dairy closed, caught between inflated costs and
rising land values.  The owner continued to breed horses, because that was
profitable and was his retirement business.  I think he leased out the
graze.  After he died, his heirs sold out to the developers for a hefty
pile, and an expensive subdivision subject to occasional flooding now stands
on what used to be some fine bottomland.  Norman is now 80,000+ and Number 3
in the state.

These days I buy the products of the closest commercial dairy (which is also
in town), but the quality isn't close to that of the independent dairy that
controlled the entire process from grass to milk.

Bear