SC - chicken types-Period

Alma Johnson chickengoddess at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 10 18:04:01 PDT 1998

>Since you keep them, do you find them to be very different in taste,
>texture, size or anything from supermarket chickens?  Your own fresh
>chicken is undoubtedly better, and the Dorkings are probably smaller than
>Tyson's, but would you say there's so much difference that we couldn't
>possibly reproduce medieval chicken dishes with what's currently
>available to most of us?
>Allison

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you on this.  Life got majorly
in my way this week.

I have not eaten my chickens, cause a fox ate them first.  I have dined on a
friends birds, and they're smaller, though heavy breed birds are not THAT
much smaller.  The flavor is the difference.  They actually have flavor,
it's kind of amazing.  Mostly, though, I raise for the eggs, and then (if
the foxes will give me a chance) plan to eat them at the end of their useful
laying life.  Commercial birds are bred to be huge, are slaughtered _very_
young, and are comparatively poor in flavor.  I had one pet chicken.  She
was a broiler house escapee.  We named her Uta.  She got truly huge, and was
obviously genetically unsuited to living past the few months she would have
otherwise gotten.  She was goofy as hell, but we were crazy about her.  She
finally got too large for her heart to handle, and went peacefully to that
big coop in the sky.  But we couldn't get  decent egg out of her, and didn't
really think of her as a fit bird for the table.  I don't like my food that
engineered.

Rhiannon C., who knows that chickens are really just fast plants.