SC - Competitions?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jul 11 01:20:29 PDT 1998

Rowan replied to me and Gunthar,

>And Stefan wrote:
>>Yes, but for any of these arts, why does it have to be an A&S *COMPETITION*.
>>Why can't it be an A&S *DISPLAY*?

>Perhaps because of our 20th century nature, people often make more effort
>for a competition that a display. For several years, we held a Laurel's
>Prize Tourney, where people displayed their works, with documentation if
>possible. The laurels individually gave prizes - as many as they saw fit -
>to the entries they wanted to reward or encourage. Everyone else came to
>look and admire too. It was very successful, if rather hard work for the
>laurels (it used to take me about 3 hours to go through and comment
>properly). It was an important event.

Thank you for relating your experiences with this type of A&S event.
However, I was refering to competitions as those with a small set of
winners using a scorecard. I, at least, think of this more as a display
and not a competition. Everyone could end up with a prize - or no one.
You are not really competing against the other craftsman but against
some scale of quality in the individual Laurels heads. While I know
of no period examples of this, this sounds much more period than the
usual A&S competitions which pitch brewing against metalwork against
embroidery.

Someday, I might even enter the Ansteorran equivalent of this.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net