SC - First Feast Update

Vickie Strassburg vstrassb at atlp.com
Mon Jul 13 13:19:35 PDT 1998

Thank you all for your encouragement on this first period weekend I'm trying
to do! I was hoping your responses would provide me with the resolve that I
*could* pull this off, and I wasn't disappointed! That may change when it's
done, but what the hey!

Would any of you mind taking a moment and letting me know if my preliminary
plan sounds like it would work? (background info - for the first time in my
fledging recreation group's history, my household is doing period food for
an entire weekend war. Each to his own except Sat. nite when we come
together with a potluck. And I'm nervous, especially since I'm a newbie cook
and I'm spearheading this thing. and the heads of the organization are
eating with us Sat. nite.)

Thursday I'll cook at home. Boil up some chicken. Make a hefty stew with
lots of juice. Cherry pudding (from Medieval Kitchen) and a variation peach
pudding with white wine (instead of cherries and red wine). White garlic
sauce (also from Medieval Kitchen).

Friday nite: heat up the stew. Make porridge with the leftover broth.
Sat. morning: slice up the porridge and fry it.
Sat. lunch: bring out the cold chicken and use the white garlic sauce.
breads, fruits, cheeses. (wanna keep that one a lighter meal.)
Sat. dinner: a veggie dish that I'm still trying to figure out/find
   - Cherry and Peach puddings (non-alcohol pudding for the hobbits, as well
as the leftover fried porridge with raisins and syrup poured over)
  others are bringing: salmon steak (not period, but it's a start)
   - shiskabobs
   - some kind of pasta thing (promises to be period)
   - rice pudding thing (had this before - period and loverly!)
   - stew (no potatoes, corn, tomatoes)
   - not sure of the other 7 are bringing yet
Sun. morning: sausage and eggs
Sun. lunch: whatever's left

I was also thinking about those Shrewsbury cakes I saw mentioned.

Am I at least on the right track?

~Maedb
(knowing nothing but not hesitating to jump in!)