SC - Jerked Meat

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Mon Jul 13 13:50:16 PDT 1998

>Bogdan asks:
>
>>>Does anyone have a smoke-preserved/dried-preserved meat recipe that is
>period?  If not, if anyone has a dried-preserved that can be done in an oven,
>I would be deeply in their debt.<<

Firstly I would like to correct the subject line. Jerked meat is a Caribbean
method of seasoning meat. Beef jerky is what is commonly known as marinaded
and dried meat. I could be wrong on this but having been to the Caribbean a
dozen or so times I think I have it right.

I have never made jerky any other way. Find a marinade recipe that you
like...ie Teriyaki, High Plains etc. and make it. Slice meat about 1/4"
thick after you have left it in the freezer for about an hour and marinade
for a while in the fridge (I marinade for a day or so). I then just lay the
pieces on the racks in the oven (this gets messy so I put a layer of foil on
the bottom of my oven) and then I turn it on at 150 degrees and depending on
the meat it is done over night (about 12-15 hours).

Micaylah
- -BTW, came in second at the jerky contest at War Practise this w/e!-