SC - People's size

Shari Burnham pndarvis at execpc.com
Fri Jul 17 10:21:35 PDT 1998

Michael F. Gunter wrote:

> > Maybe, but I recall Roman historians like Tacitus and Caesar himself,
> > IIRC, claiming that the northern barbarians in Germany and Britain were
> > often giants of over six feet tall (and the Roman "foot" is a bit
> > smaller than the English one).

Think about the folks up in the Northern areas of Finland/Norway/Sweden.  Depends on
which tribe you belong to.  Remember in high school (once upon a time) when you had
the white mouse/black mouse how many kids are grey questions?  When in Norway, I was
probably the smallest person in the entire town of 200 and I am 5'11".  But when I met
two herders of a more indigenous decent from further north, I ceased being the
smallest and the darkest haired.

> I agree that the "outsized" armor (smaller and larger than average) have a better
> chance of surviving than the typical battle armor that was changed over the
> years.
>
> What kind of archeological evidence is out there?

We (spouse and I) have seen armor all over Europe, and size really was across the
board.  If someone does have archeological  evidence, esp. back to Roman please email
me privately!

> For those of you who are only interested in cooking matters we can carry this
> discussion over to diet and size. I've heard the ruling class was physically
> larger in many instances because they generally ate better than those they
> ruled. Any comments?

Common sense would seem that the ruling class was larger because they ate more, but I
don't think that is necessarily true.  Perhaps it is more dependent on types of food,
such as protein content (meat at every meal, esp in broths, etc.)   Any comments from
those who are more edjumakted?