SC - oop - curing ham

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jul 19 07:31:23 PDT 1998

Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> When the hams are cut from the carcass, you must trim them well.  Loose
> morsels of meat
> can get infected and spoil the taste of much of the ham.

I'm just asking, you understand: why is your subject header "oop"?

Please don't be shy about things like this, at least not on my
account...the method for curing country hams and other charcuterie seems
not to have changed much since the Roman Republic (except maybe for the
sugar).

Jane Grigson, in her book on charcuterie, draws a striking comparison
between the process outlined by Cato the Elder for curing and smoking
hams, and the process used until quite recently for York hams. Also, as
I mentioned earlier, in passing, what you have posted so far really
doesn't differ substantially from Le Menagier de Paris writing on the
same subject just over five hundred years ago.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com