SC - Courses - was: sign-on package?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jul 20 12:38:02 PDT 1998

At 12:07 PM -0400 7/20/98, PhlipinA at aol.com wrote:
>Our modern 12 course meals are
>simple in each chronological presentation, and are expected to be finished in
>an hour or two- the early "feasts" were an entire day's eating, separated
>frequently by entertainments. I suspect this is the reason that early SCAdians
>used the term "remove" to differentiate between the two types of meals.

>Cariadoc, any comments?

My guess is that someone early on had seen the term "remove," perhaps in
regency fiction or some similar source, assumed it was the old term for
course, and used it. People in the SCA like to prove they are members of
the ingroup by using special jargon (like people in many other contexts),
so the term spread.

For your conjecture to be right, the people using the term would have to
have known that it was the wrong (period) term, and so far as I can
remember, they didn't.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/