SC - Re: Course: Was Sign-On Package?

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 21 14:04:58 PDT 1998

Adamantius wrote:

>I seem to recall that the term "banquet" was indeed the final course
>of sweets (and was sometimes the sole food served, possibly at a ball
>of some kind), but that the term itself actually refers to the piece
>of furniture on which the sweet dishes were laid out: in English it is
>more or less equivalent to the sideboard (snip)

C. Anne Wilson writes "...the confusion goes back almost as far as the
time when the word 'banquet' entered the English language.  According
to the dictionaries, the French word 'banquet' derives from the Italian
'banchetto', which had originally meant a small bench or table but had
also taken on the additional sense of a magnificent meal - perhaps
initially a very special meal served to a few important people at a
small table...first appeared in print in the plural form of 'bankettis'
in Caxton's edition of the _Golden Legend_ published in 1483."  (pp
9-10)

"The word 'banquet' surfaces in direct relation to sweetmeats in the
early 1530s in conjunction with the banqueting house, and stays current
until around 1700." (p 37)

She doesn't mention, outside of the possible derivation from
"banchetto" that an banquet refers to a piece of furniture.  However, I
don't have an OED so I can't check to see if that is another possible
meaning.

Alys Katharine