SC - Kosher questions OP

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Sat Jul 25 23:41:56 PDT 1998

> Does this mean Orthodox Jews do not eat catfish? What about shellfish
>  or things like octopus? Or are shells like scales as far as shrimp
>  and oysters are concerned?

Orthodox and in some cases "just" very observant Jews do not eat catfish.
Shellfish and things like octopus wouldn't be kosher either. I have a good
friend who's neighbors kept so kosher they kept two sets of dishes, and they
were quite put out when their son and my friend had a little crab boil in
their kitchen.

Seems they "had" to break all the dishes and throw away the pots involved.
Surely there was another way?  (You gotta understand, the Jewish relitives I
have think nothing of ham on a bagel, or a cheeseburger. They had to send to
somewhere in GA where there is apparently a kosher kitchen and serve
everything off paper plates when somebody visited who kept kosher.)

Corwyn