SC - Kosher questions OP

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Sun Jul 26 09:08:53 PDT 1998

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998 CorwynWdwd at aol.com wrote:
> Orthodox and in some cases "just" very observant Jews do not eat catfish.
> Shellfish and things like octopus wouldn't be kosher either. I have a good
> friend who's neighbors kept so kosher they kept two sets of dishes, and they
> were quite put out when their son and my friend had a little crab boil in
> their kitchen.
This reminds me of tales of my grandfather going outside and having shrimp
on a newspaper, so that he wouldn't get in trouble with grandma.

> Surely there was another way?  (You gotta understand, the Jewish relitives I
> have think nothing of ham on a bagel, or a cheeseburger. They had to send to
> somewhere in GA where there is apparently a kosher kitchen and serve
> everything off paper plates when somebody visited who kept kosher.)

You can engulf the dishes and said pots thoroughly in flames, or bury them
as well, but the safest way is the destroy.  By the by, if you use GLASS
dishes you only need one set of dishes, as long as your cleaning method
immerses them in water above 180F.

And what do you mean your relatives think nothing of ham on a bagel?????
It's near heaven, and they treat it like nothing?!?! :-)

Cu drag,
Bogdan