SC - Re: OOP- interesting question

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 26 10:06:00 PDT 1998

That was my impression as well regarding digestion of milk: Asians, native
Americans, certain variaties of Jewish people and southern Europeans whose
ancestors both recent and ancient did not drink cows milk do not have the
proper digestive flora and fauna for dealing with milk.  They are lactase
intolerant.  Not the same thing as allergic.  The body doesn't reject it, it
just doesn't know what to do with it, so the milk causes problems as it is
passing through the body.  I hadn't heard of mucous productions being one of
the symptoms of not-digesting milk, I'd only heard varous digestive problems.

Northern Europeans do and have drunk cows milk and so don't usually have the
intolerance, though adults can lose tolerance when they get out of the habit
of ingesting milk/milk products regularly.  Mucous production does seem to be
a "symptom" everyone has, in varying degrees, upon drinking milk.  It's not a
histamine reaction, I don't think.  I have heard of many doctors recommending
that kids with tendencies to respiratory problems should avoid milk, at least
until their systems, both respiratory and digestive, mature.  Tiny tubes and
openings don't leave much leeway for gunking up.  when they've grown larger
and the residual infections are gone, milk may be alright again.