SC - Is allspice period?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jul 26 19:36:59 PDT 1998

Mike and Pat Luco wrote:

> Isn't allspice a native of the West Indies?  If so would it be possible for it to be
> LATE period?  Does anyone know of any late period
> recipes that call for allspice?
>
> Henri
> mailto:mikel at pdq.net

Yes, it is definitely New World. It is also known as pimiento and as
quatre-epice, not to be confused with the spice mixture of the same
name. Offhand I'm not aware of any late-period, or even early period
recipes calling for it, but then it is called allspice because it was
considered to resemble a mixture of other spices in flavor. IIRC,
pepper, cloves, and nutmeg. Possibly cinnamon, but I seem to recall it
was nutmeg.

If you're looking to justify a modern recipe as possibly period, and it
calls for allspice, I'd say it is likely not to be so, but you might get
something reasonably peri-oid if you go back to the source and
substitute the original spices that allspice was intended as a
substitute for.

I do hope I'm making at least _some_ sense; it's been a long and busy
weekend...;  )

Adamantius

Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com