SC - Canadian Bacon

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Tue Jul 28 16:20:30 PDT 1998

In a message dated 7/28/98 11:53:20 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
troy at asan.com writes:

<<
 Incidentally, a note I'm sure will end up in Stefan's collection ;  ) :
 the Irish usually call loin or back bacon "boiling bacon", not Irish
 bacon, because it often gets boiled and eaten with cabbage in Ireland,
 where corned beef was virtually nonexistent until maybe fifty years ago. >>

When we butchered, this cut was reserved for special meals.  It was called
variously white meat and "preacher" meat.  We sliced it into boneless chops
about 1/2 inch thick, pounded it with a coke bottle or a meat tenderizing
tool, dredged it in flour with salt and a lot of black pepper, and fried it in
hot lard.

Magnifique!

  Get the picture??  Center cut pork chops.  The really expensive part of the
pig.  This is eating high on the hog.  When dried and smoked it's Canadian
Bacon.

Mordonna