SC - Yeast dough instead of pastry

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 30 18:52:05 PDT 1998

> > I read years ago, I think
> > in one of Elizabeth David's books, that yeast dough was used for
> > "coffins".
> > Was this speculation on her part, since proved yea or nay?
> >
> > Bonne
> >
> I don't recall seeing this, but it should be in English Bread and Yeast
> Cookery.
>
> Bear

Yes.  I'd like a copy of that.  Anyone that has it should try the Aberdeen
Buttries recipe.  I learned to make it to satisfy my husband's childhood
cravings.

As for yeast dough as coffin: What do you think of the idea?  Has anyone else
tried it?  It's easy to make a thick crust which holds up to a long baking
without burning on the tips and edges. It's not as greasy as pastry, a good
thing for eating out of hand, but it can be quite tough.

Bonne