SC - courts running long

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 30 20:41:16 PDT 1998

> Frankly, it's the autocrats job to either communicate to the kitchen
> when dinner will be served early enough so that plans can be changed, or
> to see that the day's activities move along so that court can happen and
> dinner be served at the scheduled time.

And it is the cooks job to arrange for some leeway with the food. The cook
ought to be able move feast a half hour or even a full hour either way without
going into a panic.  It seems to me that arranging for the first dish, or more
than one dish at all to require crucial timing is foolish, though I understand
re-using serving dishes is a consideration some places.  I've heard of feast
running hours late, but not seen it, it would be the event stewards job to
keep the cook informed throughout the day so that the cook can plan accordingly.

Last feast I was at started out with platters of cold foods: breads, cheeses,
pickles; then moved on to soup that was in crockpots and could have been
served a little sooner or later, as needed. Then came the meats and pies that
had to be HOT. Court didn't run late (our baron likes his supper!), so the
cold platters and second course were eaten leisurely to allow time for the
meats and pies to finish.  If court had run late, the first courses could have
been hurried by  combining them.  Or either dish could have been held back and
served later during the feast. Perhaps to cover another waiting period.

though I've got some nerve saying this when I've not been the head cook.  I
think I'll do my first while Wulfbrand is Baron. He likes his supper and won't
easily let it be delayed.

Bonne