SC - Yeast dough instead of pastry

Fri Jul 31 19:50:00 PDT 1998

A coffin in this context is a pastry container for holding food.  These can
take all kinds of shapes, but they are all essentially lidded pie shells.

The commonest paste is a very heavy mixture of flour and water.  There are
other pastes which use eggs.  And still others are similar to modern pie
dough.

The question is whether or not a leavened dough was used to make coffins.
>From experience, I would say that you can make a bread dough coffin, but it
will not hold liquids well.  I would also recommend a pre-cooked filling,
moderately thin walls, and a slightly higher oil content to the dough.  Was
it done in period?  I don't know.

I have casually checked my copy of English Bread and Yeast Cookery and can
not locate a reference to leavened coffins.

Bear