SC - SCA placenames

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 31 20:36:20 PDT 1998

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Bonne de Traquair said:
>
> >Buckston-on-Eno, Windmasters' Hill  (Durham, NC)
> >Durham was built because of Duke Tobacco, Duke Tobacco was founded by James > >B.Duke = "Buck" Duke; therefore Buck's Town on the Eno (River).  Cool, huh?
>
> >As for the derivation of Windmasters' Hill, it is something to do with men
> >trying out some flying contraption near the sea.
>
> Thank you Bonne for this explanation of this name. Is this a canton
> associated with the Barony of Windmasters' Hill?

So much so that Baron Wulfbrand Lurkr makes his home here.

>And is Duke Tobacco a place?

A company created to satisfy the craving Union and Confederate soldiers
developed for flue-cured tobacco during the encampment at Bennett's Place to
sign the papers putting an end to the ACM.  Eventually became part of American
Tobacco, but anti-trust laws split it up again and what's left is known as
Liggett & Myers.  Aaah! the smell of tobacco processing!  It beats the paper
factories near my hometown in Florida.

> For those interested in SCA placenames, there are a number of stories of
> these names in this file in the SCA-STORIES section of my Florilegium.

Of course there are!  (sounds of the modem dialing so I can go read all about it.)

The Florilegium, it's not just for food and feast references anymore.

Bonne