SC - Elinor Fettiplace: No Dates, Just Friends, OK?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 1 08:00:24 PDT 1998

david friedman wrote:

> At 1:35 PM -0400 6/30/98, THLRenata at aol.com wrote:
>
> >Eleanor Fettiplace has several recipes for preserving gooseberries. Granted
> >she was 16th century, ...
>
> Is it clear whether the recipes are late 16th or early 17th? I don't have a
> copy ready to hand, but I thought the date at the front was something like
> 1611 or so. Do we know whether that was the date she finished writing the
> book or the date she started?
>
> David/Cariadoc
> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

It's not immediately clear, _to me_ , when the bulk of the recipes were
recorded. I suspect we have a problem similar to that with Martha
Washington's book. The book is dated 1604, on the front page, along with
the name Lady Elinor Fettiplace. The problem is that this date
corresponds neither with her birth, her marriage in 1589, nor her death,
which, from a very brief scan of Spurling's introduction, seems to have
been in 1647 or so.

It really isn't clear what event corresponds to the 1604 date, unless
it's the copying of the book (just a guess). In any case it's not
completely clear, without seeing the actual manuscript copy, which
recipes are from various ancestors of either Elinor or her husband, and
which from descendants. I recall at least some of the recipes date from
the 18th century.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com