SC - feasts and teaching

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jul 4 23:23:11 PDT 1998

There was a comment here about not being able to teach during a feast.
No, I don’t believe you can lecture. But an idea occurs to me thinking
about this.

How about a display off to the side explaining the feast?

For a well-concieved feast, particularly one following a theme, I think
this might be of interest to some, at least it would be to me. This
display could give the recipes and redactions for the feast to be
served later in the event. And give more info as appropriate. For
instance for the King’s Forest feast detailed here before, there might
be info on the various food items in the forest, whether used in the
feast or not. For a 14C French feast, there might be a selection of
books about the time. For a peasant feast, more info on the life of
peasants. Even for the usual medieval conglomoration feast, the books
that the recipes were taken from might be of interest.

If it is an outdoor feast being cooked over an open fire perhaps an
explanation of period fires and utensils and why yours might vary.
Being outside such a display might be more deficult but I still think
it would be possible.

I wouldn’t try to do this at the same time as the feast. Set it up
ahead of time and let people browse through it as their time permits.
I think such a display would also help build anticipation for the
feast as a whole and for specific dishes.

And although I have heard of some wonderful feast booklets being
prepared, I'm thinking of a bit more here.

I think that some people will look at non-competitive displays. I
don’t think every A&S thing needs to be a competition.

Comments or additional ideas?

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net