SC - cook's wages

melc2newton at juno.com melc2newton at juno.com
Thu Jul 2 12:17:23 PDT 1998

I found this in "How They LIved", a compliation of different primary
sources ranging from 55 b.c. to 1485 a.d.  The orginal source is
_Establishment of the Royal Household, c.1136, translated in Dialogus de
Scaccario The Course of the Exchequer and Constitutio Domus Regis_, ed.
C.Johnson, Nelson, 1950, p. 131. I just thought it  was interesting:

Cooks: The Cook of the upper kitchen shall eat in the house, and have
three halfpence for his man. The Usher of the same kitchen, the customary
diet and three halfpence for his man.The Scullion shall eat in the house
and have three halfpence for his man, and have a sumpter-horse with his
livery. The Sumpterman of the same kitchen, the like. The Serjeant of the
Kitchen, the customary diet only. The Cook of the King's personal
servants and of the Dispensers, the like. He shall eat in the house and
have three halfpence a day for his man. Great Kitchen: Owen Polcheard has
the customary diet and three halfpence a day for his man. Two Cooks, each
the customary diet and three halfpence a day for his man. Serjeants of
the same Kitchen: The cusomary diet and three halfpence for his man.
Roaster: The like. Scullion : The like, and a sumpter-horse besides with
its livery. Carter of the Great Kitchen: double diet, and the due livery
for his horse.
	Carter of the larder: The like
	The Serjeant who received the Venison: Shall eat indoors, and
have three halfpence for his man.
<end of Quote>

So, why does the Scullion get the horse and not the cook? and does this
mean I've documented the pratice of letting those helping with the feast
eat  without a feast fee? :)

beatrix