SC - Re: Yeast

Alma Johnson chickengoddess at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 6 15:59:59 PDT 1998

>> >I got a coupon for a free strip of Rapid-Rise yeast and it got me
>> >wondering. I was hoping Adamantius or Bear or someone could answer
>> >this.
>> >What exactly is rapid-rise yeast? What do they do to it to make it rise
>> >faster? Not that it matters, but you know the old saying about
>> >enquiring
>> >minds....

To the best of my knowledge, there are 2 differences.  One is the strain of
yeast.  Some are more vigorous than others, and just about every yeast
manufacturer has it's own, which is why you'll find that the "same" yeast
from different companies will act differently.  Next is the process by which
the yeast is deactivated, to keep it dormant till you wake it up when
_you're_ ready for it to work.  The process often used is a heat drying
process.  This does, however, kill off some of the yeast.  Instant yeast is
dried at lower temps than active dry, killing fewer yeasties in the process,
so you get a faster start, and generally more bang for your buck.

Rhiannon Cathaoir-mor
Not Adamantius, nor Bear, but a baking freak, nevertheless.