SC - chicken types-Period

Alma Johnson chickengoddess at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 6 16:12:58 PDT 1998

>> Here are the chicken types which were grown in period and are still
>> available
>> .
>>
>> Appenzell Pointed Hood Hen (15th Century c.e.)
>> Aseel (oldest breed of chicken in existence) Note: Not bred in the US.
>> Dorking (Ancient Roman)
>> Dutch Bantam (16th century c.e.)
>> Polish ( so old their history has been obscured)
>> Styrian (first mentioned in the 13th century c.e.)

Murray McMurray Hatchery carries the Polish and the Silver Grey Dorkings.
Call for a catalog.
1-800-456-3280.  There are maximum limits on their rare breed chickens, even
though there are minimum required purchases.  Weird.  Best to go in with a
friend who wants some standard birds, unless you want 25 at a time.

FYI, take it from me, you will NEVER hear the end of it from your friends if
you keep Dorkings.

Rhiannon (this is why they call me the chicken goddess) Cathaoir-mor
(Madly repairing the coop after the last fox attack)