SC - Re:amydon vs. rice flour (was Sugar...)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 7 18:53:23 PDT 1998

Robyn Probert wrote:

> On thickeners, have you come across any references to arrowroot? Again, it
> is an off the shelf thickener here and is actually made from the ground
> dried root. It is really similar to "conflour" (wheat starch), but does not
> thin out again if overcooked. It is/was used as a digestive aid and is is
> still used in digestive biscuits.

New world...I don't remember if it's made from manioc or cassava, or
what, but I seem to recall it's South American originally...

We can get wheat starch here, too, in most Asian groceries (although
real amydoun seems to be more like ultrafine flour of very soft wheat,
rather than purified starch, which is what this stuff is.

It occurs to me Wondra flour (precooked, instant flour used for
thickening sauces in the USA, mostly by the inept, but not exclusively),
might make a decent substitute for amydoun, in some cases.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com