SC - Re:SC-Clarity of Beer

Nick Sasso Njs at mccalla.com
Wed Jul 8 05:17:04 PDT 1998

(Score that as an assist for thoiose of you keeping score cards at
home)

Yes, Adamantius, that is the theme I was headed on.  The nobility were
able to afford glass which, by the way, was more expensive to
transport from London to York than to Rome (breakage rates on crummy
roads will kill the economy).  The Lesser nobility, clerics and commoners
seem the more prolific beer mongers.  Not the only ones, mind you, but
generally more so.  I do beg off on the "you know what I meant......." .
Sorry for any confusion that may abound.....please, brew beer that is
drinkable and enjoyable......clarity only counts for the AHA!!

niccolo
***************Adamantius wrote:*******************************
Glass is believed to have been first worked by the Phonecians, if I
remember correctly. That is, indeed, as Ras (I mean A'aql, and this is
news to me!) suggests, a long time ago. On the other hand, the fact that
the wealthy (for whom ale or beer would not have been the first choice
for a beverage throughout  much of period) had glass vessels doesn't
indicate that glass was the common material for a drinking-jack. I mean,
these are the same people who had silver and gold plated cutlery, but
the average serf doesn't seem to have been buried with _his_.

I think this is one of those situations that warrants a "Well, you
_know_ what I meant..."