SC - More Sourdough Woes

THLRenata at aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Wed Jul 8 08:20:19 PDT 1998

UlfR writes:

>>How long did you let the dough rise the first time? I generally let it do a
first rise ON (overnight, lab shorthand), and then a second one in the
morning. I've actually gotten a "sour" loaf this way with plain yeast, allowed
to do a first rise ON or even for a full 24 hours.<<

I let it rise about 2 hours the fisrt time and about 45 minutes the second
time.

On the question of ON rising -- will it stop rising at a certain point if left
unattended? I usually let my bread rise in the oven with only the pilot light
going -- will this work for ON, or should I leave the bread rising on the
counter?

I'm a little paranoid about leaving things unattened -- comes from having a
chemist for a father and also from having candy take over the stovetop -- more
than once.

Thanks!

Renata