SC - low calcium diet help

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jul 13 09:25:03 PDT 1998

Michael Macchione wrote:

> last month, I had the very unpleasant experience of passing a kidney
> stone; an experience I am trying to make sure doesn't happen again.  To do
> this I am trying to cut most of the calcium out of my diet.  I'm trying to
> keep to roughly 30-50% of recommended USDA allotment of Calcium per day.
>
> Unfortunately, I tend to love cream and cheese sauces, and have been going
> through withdrawel lately, if butter weren't low calcium I would be
> insane.
>
> Does anyone know of any low calcium cheeses? or if it is possible to make
> a cream sauce out of "non-dairy creamer"?  or any simple and quick
> multi-purpose sauces that would be low calcium?
>
> Period recipes would be great, but I'll take anything.
>
> Kael

Kael, have you spoken to your doctor about this? I can sympathize with
the desire to avoid stones in future, but the occasonal stone is a
picnic compared to some of the symptoms of osteoparosis.

As has been said, you can get some non-dairy cheese substitutes at the
health food store, but I would be extremely careful about reducing my
calcium intake (your body uses it for stuff besides bones and teeth,
BTW) without giving my doctor some input about such a mnajor dietary
shift.

You can use butter to do a lot of the things cream is used for, but of
course you could well have a problem with your fat intake if you go
overboard with that.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy