SC - Jamaican Jerk (was jerked meat)

Balano1 at aol.com Balano1 at aol.com
Mon Jul 13 18:41:55 PDT 1998

" Sister Mary Endoline said something like:
BTW - the hot and heavily spiced flavorings were used to cover and kill  the
taste of rancid or spoiled meats in the days, pre-refrigeration."
" I have never seen anything to prove that people at 'bad' meat before
refrigeration."

Yes, I did say something like that... - That was based on life experience in
the West Indies rather than "Middle Ages documentation"  Jerked meat is not a
Middle Ages method but rather a West Indian - mainly Jamaican method of
flavoring food initially used to cover the taste of less than flavorfull meat.
Having grown up as a charter boat child throughout the WI in the 60's and
70's, I know from personal experience that the days pre-refrigeration in some
West Indian communities are not that long in the distant past and meats are
often heavily seasoned to "improve their flavor" because they don't taste
particularly palatible plain.

- - Sister M. E.