SC - outdoor feast

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 14 06:48:03 PDT 1998

Stephen Bloch wrote:

> To which Adamantius replied:
> > I believe Anne-Marie's point wasn't about whether it can be done, but
> > about the challenge of cooking outdoors as it would have been done in
> > period Europe. Since Dutch ovens or equivalent methods, no matter how
> > effective, appear not to have been used in period Europe, then there is
> > some question as to how using one is better, or more educational about
> > period cookery, than using a gas oven.
>
> I don't know about Christian Europe,

Good point! I shouldn't speak in generalities...

 but here are two references from
> the _Manuscrito Anonimo_:
>
> "... Then place thou an earthenware or copper pot full of hot coals over
> it until it is browned, and then around the sides until the other side
> has browned..."
>
> "... cover it with fire until it is browned, and be careful that it not
> burn."

Okay. I'll go with those as possible exceptions, provided that they are
qualified as more akin to using a modern broiler to brown a dish
(without it being the main cooking process, or perhaps I don't
sufficiently recall details from the _Manuscrito Anonimo_), or perhaps
using a tool like a salamander. The concept of using hot coals atop a
Dutch oven is a more or less straight baking process, and the browning,
while valued, is incidental.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com