SC - Pancake Races

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Jul 14 07:09:06 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie:
We are told:
> Actually the contestants run with a frying pan in hand which contains a
> pancake which they must toss (twice I think) as they run. The story
behind
> this (if memory serves me right) is that a housewife in Omley, England
back
> in the 13th century was late for church on Shrove Tuesday and ran down
the
> street tossing a pancake, and the race was on. I can't remember exactly
when
> Liberal Kansas got into the act but it may have been back in the forties.

Reminds me of the "fritter carry" we do at Peasants revel every year. A
"fritter" (pancake like unit) is on a spatula and you have to run an
obstacle course. If you drop it, you have to spin around three times before
you can pick it up and go on. Stepping over the large stuffed sheep gits
'em every time! :)

For those of you not from 'round these parts, Peasants revel is the event
put on by our culinary guild every year. Folks dress up in their skankiest
clothes, divide into two competing "villages" and we set up pavilions on
the lawn of a local park. Silly Peasant games are played (many of which we
have documentation of sorts for, even, and some we just looked at Brugel
paintings and made up games that suited what the peasants were doing. Some
are pushing for the "butt kicking game" this year, but as guild head, for
some reason, I'm hesitant....). No site fee, and if you give us a small
pittance we'll feed you a simple dinner of medievaloide stew, bread, cheese
and fruit. The locals are used to us by now, and we even have had an
icecream truck drive by playing Greensleeves.

Other games include wet rag on a stick, gurning, melon eating, turnip
carving, Izzy Dizzy, Spin in the Bucket, and other assorted goofiness.

Best event of the year, in my opnion. Why, we even sometimes get a
visitation from the baron and baroness! Cooooey!

- --AM, who's clothes are just too darn clean, so has to muck 'em up a bit
before the event.